Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Electric!

Variety reports "The Electric Company" is coming back! I know, I know, I'm a little excited about this for an adult, but I loved this show when I was a little kid! Hopefully it will be as good as I remember it, and I'll watch it with my own munchkins.

Original Electric Company episodes ran from 1971-77 on PBS, with re-runs until '85 and starred Morgan Freeman. I wonder if he'll appear in the new one, a cameo perhaps?







Putting an adult spin on the Portmanteau words from Electric Company, I stumbled across this "Mixtionary" clip, from 2006.


They forgot "Frenemy"

From the movie "Mean Girls":

Regina: We do not have a clique problem at this school.

Gretchen: But you do have to watch out for "frenemies".

Regina: What are "frenemies"?

Gretchen: Frenemies are enemies who act like friends. We call them "frenemies".

Karen: Or "enemends".

Gretchen: Or friends who secretly hate you, we call them "fraitors".

Regina: [rolls eyes] That is so gay.

Karen: [gasps] What if we called them "mean-em-aitors"?

Regina: [scoffs]

Gretchen: No, honey, it has to have the word "friend" in it.

Karen: Oh...

We have our very own example too. When The Teenager was about 3 or 4 years old I was tucking him into bed one night, and as I leaned in, hugging him, I meant to say "Let's cuddle." But what came out of my mouth was "Lets huggle." - combining "Hug" with "Cuddle". We giggled about it, and it stuck! To this day, we "Huggle" in our house! ;)

1 comment:

Brandon Laraby said...

Hey Stephanie!

Thanks for popping by my blog ;)

Yeah, it's pretty crazy what's going on in this country sometimes - the way we seem to alienate much of our own audience through lazy or boring or nonexistant promotions.

It's like they're willing to pay for something only when they're not shelling out for it all on their own (tax credits, incentives, etc.).

As soon as promotion time comes around and they're on the hook to spend their own money to promote it, to actually attract viewers, they balk. "What?! We have to pay for that ourselves?!"

It's actually quite disgusting how often shows with great potential are tossed onto the air with little fanfare and a 'sink-or-swim' attitude.

Luckily, we're not giving up ;)

Always more stories to tell, even if we have to tell them ourselves.

Cheers!
Brandon